So, my worst nightmare happened this weekend... we had to take Matthew back to Dartmouth. I never imagined that Matthew would have to go back so soon. Anyway, our good friend, Mike, was visiting us this weekend from Columbus, Ohio. Thank goodness he has three beautiful children of his own because we had to leave him at home while we went to two emergency rooms. Sorry Mike! At least Robert and Mike got to go skiing/snowboarding all day on Friday.
So, Matthew started screaming uncontrollably on Friday night around 9:30 PM. I tried everything to calm him, but nothing really would work. He would stop screaming and whimper if I held him against my skin next to my right shoulder. Robert called the nurses line at our doctor's office, and they had us watch him. Finally he fell asleep at 11:45 PM, but I had a feeling that something was wrong, so Robert and I just layed in bed and worried. About an hour later he woke up screaming again. When I went to change his diaper Robert noticed that his testicles looked really swollen. I will spare you the details.... but we called the nurses line again, and they suggested we take him to the ER. We drove him there as I tried my best to remain calm.
To make a long story short, they determined that he had a hernia. Apparently because Matthew was a preemie and because he is a boy, he was at a higher risk for this to happen. (Thanks for telling us this doctors that have treated him-- yes, I am being sarcastic!) They had us immediately drive Matthew to Dartmouth. They wouldn't even let us go home and grab our stuff. They were going to make him go in an ambulance, but I could not take that!! I was devastated because I did not want Matthew to have to go back to Dartmouth, but they are one of the best hospitals in the country, so it was for the best.
We finally arrived at Dartmouth 2 hours later, which was around 4:00 AM. They took Matthew in right away, and everyone was very nice to us. The swelling had gone down significantly by the time they examined him, so they had me feed him, and then they kept him under observation for several hours. When the surgeon came in around 7:30 AM, he decided that Matthew needs surgery very soon. They couldn't do it then because he was still swollen and it's a very delicate surgery. I was relieved because Robert and I had had no sleep, and were beyond exhausted! Matthew will be having his surgery this week. I am waiting to hear back from Dartmouth as to when. He will also have a second surgery at the same time. He has had a blocked tear duct since he was born, which has not cleared up. He always has tears falling out of his left eye, and it's goopy-- people are always asking me if he has a cold or if he is crying. I am glad because we can have both done at the same time under one anesthesia.
People asked us what Robert and I got each other for Christmas this year, and we tell them-- Matthew. We have had the highest medical bills ever, but I would give my last dime to make Matthew feel better. Thanks to everyone that has been concerned and have prayed for us. This really means so much to us. We truly do have some wonderful friends and family. I will keep everyone updated. I also have some pictures of Matthew with his "Uncle" Mike. We even have one of Mike holding Matthew who is wearing his Patriots pyjamas. This is funny because Mike is a HUGE Steelers fan.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
OH NO!
I have been wondering where you have been...Been missing you. Had no idea that Little Matthew has been so sick! I haven't chatted with Molly in while because she was traveling with the new job. I will be praying for sweet Matthew and please let us know if you need anything!
Love to you all,
Alie
Post a Comment